Monday, April 19, 2010

Cafe Pita & Homemade Dinner

4-16-2010

I had heard that Guy Fieri from "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" (www.foodnetwork.com/diners-drive-ins-dives/) was going to visit Niko Niko in Houston. I decided to check out the site to see if the video was up and stumpled upon Cafe Pita located on Westheimer.



I finally decided to give it a try after a month of finding out when to go. It was not as crowded as I thought it to be especially since it was Friday. Then again we went there a little bit after the normal lunch hour. My friend and I decided to order the fried cheese, eggplant dip and the cevap (aka cevapcici- Bosnian national dish). The cevap was what Guy Fieri was introducing on his show so of course I wanted to try this out.


The fried cheese was lightly fried and tasted like a block of mozzarella that was a bit rubbery. Does not sound too good huh? Actually, it tasted pretty good and tasted even better with their homemade marinara sauce. Next was the eggplant dip. It was like the original hummus except it was more saucy which tasted light and fresh. The bread that came with it was really fresh and fluffy.


Finally, the main entree came which was the cevap. I was reading the Houston Press and the writer Robb Walsh explained on how to eat it. Good thing I read it before going there, otherwise I would have just sat there figuring out how to hold the whole thing up. It was about 6 sausage links (to me it looked like there were 8) served on an authenic Bosnian bread. The cevap also came with a dairy spread. Based on the article, it is suppose to be fermented clotted cheese that is made in the Middle East but since it is not available here, they whipped up a similar spread made of cream cheese, butter and feta. Then you have raw onions to go with it. In order to eat the sandwich, you would need to cut it into mini sandwiches and then put the spread and raw onions on there. It was delicious.


Overall meal was satisfying and extremely filling. The only problem was that the service was slow.

*******************************************************************************
Breakfast for dinner was what we had. I made some buttermilk pancakes (not from scratch). Then my mom's friend made omelettes. The omelettes consisted of red onion, onions, green and red bell peppers, tomatoes, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and four cheeses. Then it was topped with fresh spinach. This gave the omelette a fresh crunchy taste to it. Also, my mom's friend baked salmon topped with garlic, which was really good. Yum.

Buttermilk Pancakes
Bacon and Sausages
Baked Salmon
Omelette

No comments:

Post a Comment