Thursday, April 29, 2010

Three-Day Tour of Food

The short tour began on Monday night with Rudy's BBQ. I have heard many different reviews about this place in Houston. Mainly because Rudy's is well known in Austin and San Antonio. My friends still tell me that it is better there than in Houston. I still would not know since I have not tried it there but thus far the Houston location has been pretty good. Since it was Mitch's first time to be at the restaurant, the cashier gave us a sample of the brisket and turkey. The samples were yum. Mitch went with the turkey sandwich which was smoked with oakwood. The turkey was very juicy. Adding Rudy's BBQ sauce just made everything perfect. I went with the chopped beef sandwich in other words to describe this --- a sloppy joe. That's right, a sloppy joe. We added a side of Rudy's beans and cream corn. I had been craving for this cream corn since last year. Crazy huh? The cashier was very friendly and upbeat.


Sandwich to the left is the Chopped Beef and to the right is the Turkey Sandwich. Extra bread if needed.



Rudy's beans. I have tried many beans and this one was not too salty and to me it had a little spice to it.



Cream Corn. My favorite!

Close up of my Chopped Beef Sandwich


*******************************************************************************

The next day, it was time to head on to Cypress, TX to Rockwell Tavern & Grill. I have done a review on it before but this time we are going for the King Bubba. Now Red Robin has the same concept this burger called the Royal Red Robin Burger but King Bubba just topped it. The King Bubba consisted of fried egg, smoked bacon, cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and of course the beef patty. The patty is freshly made and hand pressed. You can see that the burger is humongous! Taking the first bite of it was like heaven. The egg yolk dripping down the burger blending in with all the other flavors was perfect. The combination of everything together was just right. Like I had said before, words cannot describe the taste of Rockwell's burgers.


King Bubba



Later on that night, we had House of Bowls. This is a Cantonese style of Chinese food. We had ordered the Beef & Egg rice and the House Special Chow Mein.


Beef & Egg Rice

House Special Chow Mein


*******************************************************************************

The last day was BBQ Pork Vietnamese Sandwich. I love going to Don's Cafe! The food and service there is great. They are known for their BBQ Pork sandwiches. The sandwiches are called Banh Mi. I did not get a picture of this sandwich so for now I found a picture that is similar to it. I will replace this picture when I get the chance to eat this sandwich again. The BBQ Pork is very juicy and they have this homemade butter which is delicious. It can be quite addicting once you start telling them to add more butter to the french bread. The sandwich consists of BBQ Pork, a slice of cucumber, a slice of jalapeno, shredded carrots that has been soaked in vinegar and cilantro.



BBQ Pork Banh Mi

2 comments:

  1. That burger will forever be in my dreams. God himself could have not crafted this delicious concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got off the phone with God...he's pissed.

    Oh and this is a great blog you've got here Christine. You should contribute to GrubGrade! We need Texas representation.

    ReplyDelete